msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Improving MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Improving MSAR
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:19:03 -0700

 Good Evening Una
 There maybe seems to be some confusion here, more than likely from my lack of explaining, which is difficult by e mail.
 First the Air Scenting Horse works better than words can describe, but to lessen the confusion in this post I will only talk about the capabilities of regular MSAR  not a specialized air scent horse.

 TER said - Just think what a improvement it would be if each MSAR could
> >cover ground similar to the below test.
>
> Una said - It would be interesting to run some tests, just to see how
> an average MSAR horse and rider perform without any special
> training.  I suspect horses used for hunting or gathering up
> cattle might already be experts at playing the search game.

 Yes, now we are thinking a like.

I have run the following test  using a regular riding horse not a specialized horse .
Certifying K9  Test
> >Day search - 40 to 60 acres - one subject in [1 1/2] hours
> >Night Search - 80 acres, one subject in three hours.

 I have run test for the above certifications standards. If you have a experienced MSAR searcher with average riding abilities in most cases in areas that are rideable, you could easily  pass  the above test using a grid search using only one mounted searcher. You just adjust spacing and speed according to terrain.

From my test I believe MSAR in many cases can even cut down the time needed to pass the test.

This is the great part, I believe just by changing its average type of training MSAR can improve it's capabilities dramatically.

TER