msar-riders - [MSAR] Effective use of MSAR / Struggling in New Mexico

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Effective use of MSAR / Struggling in New Mexico
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:49:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Susan Nestor wrote:
[...] we are a struggling mounted team in New Mexico.
[...]
As I understand it Jorene's talk, like mine at ESCAPE 2003, is
addressed to SAR management, which means it explores what a well
trained, experienced mounted SAR team is capable of doing on a
SAR mission.

Kinda. <g> While that is included, I cover more territory than that related to MSAR. My course is intended for SAR Management, MSAR teams, leaders of non-MSAR SAR teams, disaster field management, emergency managers, etc. I also address viable MSAR disaster response potential. Nationwide there is a push to develop more trained volunteer resources for local emergencies and disasters, and my course helps identify where an existing resource can be used more effectively in both SAR and disasters. There is typically unidentified opportunity locally for using MSAR as a viable resource even with limited training and existing capabilities, much less with additional training and equipment.

<snip some good advice>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team