msar-riders - [MSAR] Horse nutrition

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR Maintainer <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horse nutrition
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:16:15 -0400

I have been taking a crash course in proper horse nutrition
this spring. While I was out of circulation for a couple of
months around my baby's birth, the folks I paid to feed my
MSAR horse fell down on the job. The result being she lost
hundreds of pounds of muscle in a short time and became a
prime candidate for intervention by an equine rescue group.
This was incredibly bad news, because although I don't know
her exact age, going by her teeth she is in her late 20's
at least. Older horses just don't "come back" like younger
ones can do. She is now vastly better, and back in what is
for her light work, but she still lacks maybe 100 pounds or
so of muscle mass.

Some web pages of real use here are the following. The URLs
were posted to rec.equestrian by Pinkhouses1961@aol.com way
back in 2001, in a thread about feeding alfalfa vs oat hay.

COMPUTING HORSE NUTRITION:
How to Properly Conduct an Equine Nutrition Evaluation
http://www.ker.com/library/archive/proceedings/sc95/ComputingHorseNutrition/index.html

Feedstuffs: A Lesson in Feeding Value and Energetics
http://www.ker.com/library/archive/papers/group1/DnHPRACT.HTM

Feeding Forage
http://www.ker.com/library/archive/papers/group1/FORAGE.HTM

Nutrient Digestibility in Horses
http://www.ker.com/library/archive/proceedings/sc94/NutrientDigestibilityH
orses/index.html

Measuring the Digestible Energy Content of Horse Feeds
http://www.ker.com/library/archive/proceedings/sc97/13/index.html

Una