msar-riders - [MSAR] Desensitization Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mary Duffy <mduffy2727@juno.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Desensitization Training
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:57:51 -0400

Hi All -
Just thought I'd toss out an observation about our team training
from this month. We scheduled a desensitization training, and our core
group all showed up despite the forecast for a "chance" of
showers.........by the way......it was 35-40 degrees and POURING until we
had packed it in and gone home.
We had the normal things like ATVs, a bull horn, umbrellas,
tarps, drags, ponying another horse, etc., etc. The observation we made
was how adaptable the YOUNG horses were to the strange things. We had
around 4-5 horses under 6 years of age, and 7 horses older (up to our 2nd
oldest SAR mount, Gal, who is 28 this year!). The younger horses seemed
to take the flag, umbrella, baby carriage in stride. The older horses
knew that something could jump out from under the umbrella. The things
the older group thought were easy (dragging things, the gates, backing,
etc.) the younger horses needed more support.
There had been a trail ride at the grounds the night before, so
there were actually some folks watching us, which was good. When we were
done, I rode my 3 year old mare under the awning of my trailer. I lifted
it while mounted to get the pool of water off the top of the awning.
Well, my mare just tucked her tail so she didn't get wet, but we did
scatter a couple of the guests horses at the next trailer!! Ooops!
Always look around before attempting anything like that:-)
I hope everyone has a safe, happy, Memorial Day weekend. And as
Jeff said previously, let's take some time to remember those who have
sacrificed for our freedom.
Mary

Mary C. Duffy
Lucky Rooster Farm - Registered Missouri Fox Trotters
MASOOI Mounted SAR - Equine Medic
http://www.masooi.org

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

  • [MSAR] Desensitization Training, Mary Duffy, 05/30/2004