msar-riders - [MSAR] Credit Documentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Credit Documentation
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:17:31 -0800

MSAR Rescue and Recovery Credit Documentation.

We all know how under utilized MSAR is, but why? I believe three major reasons are lack
of training, lack of organization and  lack of documentation.

The k-9 SAR group as a whole are a very successful, respected group and deservingly so.
Maybe MSAR can learn some thing from them.

Lets compare MSAR to K-9 SAR in their use of the above three mentioned categories.

Training -
   On the average the k-9 searchers do many more hours of search training each
month compared to MSAR. Not only are their dogs trained but they themselves are well
trained in many areas of SAR, including night SAR and in reading their dogs reactions,
signals etc.
  Although training in MSAR to recognize the horses silent alert signals is on a
steady increase, at the present time I believe it is only a small minority that are really tuned
in to reading and using their horses natural instincts. At present the majority of MSAR
are under prepared and untrained for night MSAR.

Organization -
  The k- 9s have several National organizations and lists that are committed
either fully or partially toward K-9 SAR.
  MSAR has this MSAR Riders List ( Which is a great benefit.)
and NASAR which is in the process of working on a MSAR program.

Documentation - By documentation I mean giving credit where credit is due for successful
SAR missions and making sure it is officially recorded as such.
   This is a major tool the K -9 folks use to gain recognition that MSAR does not. When is
the last time you remember that a k -9 made a find on a SAR mission and the dog did not
make big news?
  From the information that I have received when MSAR is involved in a rescue / recovery
many times the word mounted or reference to the horses natural senses are left out of the
reports. To prove my point, when was the last time you read in the paper how a horses
senses or the benefits of MSAR was a contributing factor for a successful SAR mission?
We all know there has been many.

Example Where MSAR did not get Credit. -
About four years or so ago I was on a major four day search. Helicopters equipped with heat
seeking systems, LE. , professional ground ponders, several k -9 teams, MSAR,  even the
National  Guard was called out. Finally on about the fourth day three MSAR brought the
search to a very happy successful ending.

When I interviewed the MSAR rider who was one of the three MSAR that first located the
missing person he told me that if not for his horse coming to a complete stop on this own
the missing person may never have been located. He gave major credit to his horse sensing
the missing person was near before the riders knew what was happening. However he did
not mention the major part the horse played when he talked to search management.

When the news of this successful SAR hit the news media I do not remember one word
mentioning MSAR. However there was a k-9 involved in this same search that through
air scenting had found a piece of clothing a day or two before the missing person was
found. This dog made the news and even received a big award. Once again the horse was
not mentioned. Now I certainly agree the K-9 deserved recognition,but what about the horse?

It's the same all over in SAR when finds are made people are not giving the horse or mule
the recitation they deserve. Here in MN alone I know of three examples where the horses
special natural senses brought SAR missions to a successful ends. Plus I have heard similar
stories from across the US. On this list alone there has been quit a few testimonials on how
experienced searchers rely on the senses of their horses. If we expect search management
to understand that our horses and mules are more than a mode of transportation we
have to be sure to include those facts in the reports.  If MSAR ever expects to get the
recognition they deserve they have to be sure to ask the SAR management to document when
benifits of MSAR was a contributing factor and if the horses senses had a part in the sucess of
the mission to document that as well.

If you would like you can contact myself with your MSAR success stories at wwfarm@witkel.com
and I will also keep a record of it.

TER
 Marshall County MN Mounted Sheriff Posse ( A 70 member team)