msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training Ideas

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training Ideas
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:08:29 -0800

One of our members just shared a neat idea at our unit meeting. They had
been speaking with someone who was telling them about a "vacation"
opportunity in Utah. Basically all riders are divided into two groups-
the good guys and the bad guys. The bad guys are given a head start of a
few hours and then the good guys try to find them. Could be an overnight
if desired. We discussed using a similar scenario to practice MSAR
skills. I think both sides could practice some skills during the
exercise that they might not otherwise do. We were thinking that the
"Old West" feel of the training might get folks more motivated and
provide a better turnout. I wouldn't call this a serious training
exercise <g> but as an event to practice what has been trained it sounds
like fun. Besides you could develop some real team unity this way and I
believe that is very important in effective SAR work.

Just an idea.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR