msar-riders - [MSAR] Historic MSAR / Help MSAR-Riders help ibiblio.org

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Historic MSAR / Help MSAR-Riders help ibiblio.org
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:14:25 -0800

From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Incorporated in 1941, we are one of the older sheriff's posses
> still in existence.

The Tulare Co Sheriff's Posse formed in 1940, and existed unofficially for
many years prior to that. I see a lot of history in the older groups - with
MSAR response originating from the local law asking the local ranchers,
cowboys, etc., to help find a missing person. Many also acted in a
"deputized" capacity as volunteer law enforcement to pursue fleeing felons
and such. Old West flavor, complete with the name of "posse" being retained
for the group of people called on by the local Sheriff for extra resources
when needed. SAR / MSAR - and volunteer law enforcement - has certainly
evolved since then! Any other "been around a while" organizations out there?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,