msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Expanding MSAR potential / Conferences, etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Expanding MSAR potential / Conferences, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:08:32 -0700

From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
> Step outside the box. MSAR has a lot of unexplored opportunities "that
> others may live ..." ;)

Forgot to mention ... (another $.02 <g> )
Some team members may have physical limitations on the ground - perhaps not
being good hikers, etc. - but everyone can come up with a way to assist at
various kinds of SAR incidents ... provided they have the training. I'm an
example of that, with a bad back and knees - this grandma isn't getting any
younger. ;)

I'm permanently assigned to the ICP - respond on a direct call-out from the
county SAR IC - rolling with the Hasty Team. Yet I regularly train with ALL
of the teams in the county - SAR, MSAR, Technical Rescue (top side), Cave
Rescue (surface), Swiftwater Rescue (shore), Urban SAR (not rappel/ascend),
etc. - and I am a welcome member of the TEAM with whatever I can contribute.
In some training I'm an instructor. (Haven't made it to any SAR Dog training
yet - working on getting that on my busy calendar!)

I physically can't handle long distance riding or the "over the side" in
rope rescue situations, but I can certainly contribute in other ways that
are valued, if only by freeing up someone more physically able to perform
another task. Less physically able members of your team can also contribute
... provided they have the training. Knowledge and hands-on experience is
definitely valued in SAR, even if there are physical limitations for
participation. And the knowledge can come from a variety of sources to make
yourself - and your team - more versatile as a SAR resource.

Some examples of limited participation MSAR team assignment are Logistics
and Communications. Someone with appropriate knowledge and skills can be
assigned to stay with the trailers and any additional livestock, and run
horse trailer transport for rider drop-offs and pick-ups. We've also had
easy access SAR incidents in extreme heat where I've sent out drivers
hauling water to horses and riders. Others who perhaps can't handle the
longer riding might be good for Communications relays if mounted or a
vehicle can get them close enough to get in position. On a remote Wilderness
SAR with planned overnights, it may be advantageous to have someone assigned
to remain at the spike camp to deal with meals and pack / riding animals
that remain in camp. (I'm of the opinion that the 2 primary riding and pack
animals for MSAR should be able to both pack and ride so they are more
versatile.)

For field purposes, not everyone will have a lot of versatile skills beyond
basic MSAR. You'll have everything from rookies to riders with specialties -
more advanced medical training, or whatever. While all should have at least
fundamental SAR and MSAR skills before participating in an actual call-out
for safety reasons, the key is to encourage additional team and individual
interest training, and have good team assignments so the combined skill sets
of each team are appropriate for the anticipated needs of that mission.

BTW - I sure hope others jump in with suggestions regarding expanding MSAR
potentials. There is a lot of experience on this forum, and I'll be taking
notes. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA