msar-riders - [MSAR] Desensitizing a horse / Crossing a ground tarp

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Desensitizing a horse / Crossing a ground tarp
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:14:56 -0700

> > Perhaps we should make a list of steps we can take to make this
> > training safer? Una Smith

Good idea, Una. ;)

The sniffing and pawing at something new is common horse behavior, and a
normal part of the desensitization process. We see a lot of "what is that?"
activity from the youngsters (we breed Paints) and less seasoned horses.
Since MSAR is very focused on safe and sensible horses as a response mount,
having good desensitization training is a key factor. My generation might
still refer to it as sacking out the horse - the politically correct term
now is desensitization. ;)

Used to be horse trainers did a serious effort at desensitization when
starting a green horse, giving that young horse a solid foundation to build
on. Many "trainers" are cutting corners now - or simply don't now any
better - and horses are sold as "broke to ride" who never went through a
decent sacking out process. Years ago I shared some thoughts on the
rec.equestrian newsgroup on the subject of sacking out a horse. By request I
finally put a copy of that post online. MSAR riders might find some useful
thoughts on
http://www.ceoates.com/info/Sacking_Out_A_Horse.html

Chris wrote
> I agree that the above situations are valuable training but I believe
there
> must be a safer way to simulate them. In the instance that I related of
the
> horse flying around the corral with tarp attached to hoof- the tarp had
been
> strongly staked down. The tarp tore around the stakes.

Instead of putting stakes in the ground - potentially a serious hazard for
impalement - try weighting the corners of the tarp with something heavy,
like a truck tire. There is also the potential for a horse's foot to snag
and shift the tarp edge - try putting a layer of the arena dirt/sand over
the top of the edge so there is a smoother transition and that edge is no
longer exposed.

> As for stepping into downed fence etc the best training aide I
> have found is an old garden hose or two. I put them coiled up on the
ground
> and we walk through them and around them, again and again.

Another method is dismounted, using a soft rope. This is a process sometimes
used when starting a horse under saddle. Toss that rope all over (side,
back, head, legs, etc.) from both sides until the horse is relaxed and
unconcerned. You can also use the rope to pick up feet and hold from
different directions. Good reminder for standing quietly for hoof picking
and the farrier, but also training for not struggling when a hoof / leg is
snagged.

> [...] Training is just that-
> it doesn't pay to injure or frighten a horse during training.

Bingo! <g> And every single time you're even near your horse - or handling,
riding - you're actually training. A calm horse learns faster than a scared
one. Work with the horse in front of you - read how he's responding to you -
and provide calm, consistent leadership. Make sure any tack is comfortable
and fits well - and remember the bit can make a huge difference in behavior
and response. Be conscious of nutrition that can make a horse "hot" to work
with, etc. If there is a horse problem, it is likely caused by the human. ;)

As long as I'm sending folks off to my web site, there are a couple of other
old posts that some might find useful.
http://www.ceoates.com/info/articles.html

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs