msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Thought ?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Thought ?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:33:22 -0400

Ian Vowles wrote:
>It seems to me that we ( Mounted ) folks have many varied issues that
>could stand further study , along with a need to compare what we each
>use in different situations etc.

I always learn a lot from meeting and riding with other MSAR people,
and as I have said before this mailing list has turned out to be an
outstanding resource.

>I can't help but wonder IF we should not give some serious thought to
>having a "get together" either as a conference next year or meantime a
>horse weekend for those close enough to drive - I know folks who drive
>6-700 miles each way for a training course !

Great idea. I am up for a roadtrip to southern Colorado to ride the
backcountry with you all, and I expect so will be some others in my
unit. Let's do it!

>(maybe a new NASAR section is needed !! )

Forming a NASAR section would require us all to join NASAR, and I am
a little down on NASAR just now (see the SAR-L mailing list). So I
would be more in favor of holding BOF (Birds of a Feather) meetings
in conjunction with any convenient SAR conference. Particularly one
with any MSAR content: there are several scheduled in the next year
(http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/events/).

One thing I learned at the ESCAPE conference in May 2003 is that it
is not easy to make the most out of a SAR conference when horses are
involved. I understand the dog units arrived several days early to
put on their own mini-conference, and I think MSAR units should do
the same and expect to leave the horses alone during the conference
proper.

Even apart from formal meetings, I encourage everyone here to use
this mailing list to network freely. I have already been so bold as
to visit Chris Pennington in Big Bear, California, where I had a
very educational and fun ride and hours of interesting conversation
with her and two members of her unit.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico