msar-riders - [MSAR] Futher on night searches and lights

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] Futher on night searches and lights
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:48:13 -0700

I have tried many different lights on night searches and trainings. I personally could not find any one method to my liking so I made a special leather holder for the three cell mag lights. The leather holder is offered for sale and can be seen on my web site which is airscentinghorse.com  Click on the equipment button. As shown it can be used in a variety of ways and it can be attached almost anywhere at most angles. The flash light stays securely attached in place at any angle.
This holder comes with a shoulder strap so you can have light and still keep your hands free while searching or tacking up at three AM. There is a picture where I have the shoulder strap hanging from the saddle horn, than a two ended quick snap attaches the rear of the holder to the rear ring on your saddle. Last you can use a rubber band to secure the holder to your leg. With the rubber band attached to your leg you can even gallop with the lights staying in place. If it is attached the way I show in my picture the light shines downward and slightly outward from the horse. On  night searches I have one attached on each side of the saddle plus I third strapped to my shoulder.  In this way you have a search area that is lighted up in front and to the sides of you.  Your hands are kept free for riding or note taking. While you are searching your eyes and head can sweep from side to side much quicker and smoother than if you had a flashlight in your hand and try coordinate eyes. flash light and riding.
Terry Nowacki
Marshall County Minnesota
Mounted Sheriffs Posse

  • [MSAR] Futher on night searches and lights, wwfarm, 07/17/2003