msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] hello

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] hello
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:35:54 -0400

Hi Sarah,

Your Team is only a couple of hours away from us, here in Maryland.  Maybe a couple of your MSAR folks would like to come down and train with our team (or observe a training session).  Suzanne and I have our hands full conducting horse & rider evaluations for 2 dozen prospective trainees.  It appears that well over half of these individuals will obtain trainee status.  We will be conducting a good deal of basic SAR skills, then plan on conducting a couple of small scale mock exercises later this fall.

  In addition to normal team training, all trainees have 12 months to successfully complete a NASAR approved FunSAR course, pass the NASAR SAR-Tech III test, become certified in basic First Aide & CPR, and then submit to a criminal background check.

  Send us an email or check out our web site <http://members.tripod.com/TROT-MD/sar.html>   We have been called out to PA a couple of times for searches over the past several years.

Tomi`

Ms. Tomi Finkle (TROTSAR-2)
Training Officer / Southern Division Director
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team

smeister@brynmawr.edu wrote:
Hi y'all,

I'm with the MSAR unit of Greater Philadelphia Search and Rescue based right
outside of, you guessed it, Philly. The mounted unit has been in existance
for a few years, but has recently been undergoing some growing pains. Most
of you seem to be members of more established MSAR teams and I was wondering
if any of you could pass on some advice to me about how to recruit new
members. This seems to be our biggest difficulty and I was curious if other
groups have also had similar problems.

I also wanted to comment on all the great ideas I've seen posted. Previously
I hadn't been able to find a great deal of information on MSAR, but what
I've seen on here has been great. Since there are only a couple of us on the
mounted team we work with the mountain bike unit in GPSAR with great
results, but it helps to know what other groups are up to.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to learning as much as I can from
all of you.

Sarah

Member: GPSAR, ground & equine uits