msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Stallions and mares

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Stallions and mares
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:55:15 -0700

I have edited Una's post below- to emphasize the parts I feel are really
really important! <G> A well behaved stallion is just a well behaved
horse- period. However with that said, our unit does not allow them.
Unfortunately there are too many badly behaved stallions out there that
have earned their gender a bad rap and many folks can't get beyond that.
That's the first reason. The second is that sometimes we must leave our
horses altogether in a group, unattended, or semi-attended. I feel it
would be asking a lot of a stallion to ignore a mare in season if he is
tied right up next to her. It's just easier, and safer, to have no
stallions. And yes, everytime I have seen a problem with a stallion it
has been the mare or the mare's rider's fault. Still, since most
geldings and mares get along all right that makes it a non-issue. Also
insurance can be a huge problem for groups that allow stallions. This is
unfortunate I know. There are a lot of very nice stallions out there.

Chris Pennington