msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: What Goes in the Saddlebags during Missions?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: What Goes in the Saddlebags during Missions?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:58:45 -0600

Jeff Glaze wrote:
>I live in Tularosa [New Mexico], just north of Alamogordo. Word has
>probably gotten around that a small but dedicated group of individuals
>are in the process of starting a mounted team in Otero County. Most
>of us are experienced riders (five plus years in the saddle) and a few
>like myself have been PACE certified, but have never ridden a horse
>on an actual SAR mission. We can use all the help we can get. Some of
>the questions we have are:
>
>- What extra gear do we need for MSAR?

*My* extra gear, beyond PACE requirements, that takes the horse
into account is pretty simple:

1. hoof pick. I could use a tool on my pocket utility knife, but
I have decided to splurge here. The hoof pick beats any of those
tools, for prying snow/ice balls out of my horse's hooves.

2. webbing that is longer than the NM PACE standard. I could use
it as a replacement halter, lead rope, reins, cinch, or latigo.

3. extras/mods in my 1st aid kit. The only thing in my kit that is
*only* for the horse is phenylbutazone; I carry about 8 1-gram
pills in a translucent plastic canister for 35mm film (most of my
1st aid kit pills are in these; they save space and are cheaper than
buying individually packaged single doses). Sanitary napkins (good
for bandaging, in addition to their normal use). Vetwrap that is 3
inches wide. Digital thermometer (much safer than glass) with a
small supply of sterile disposable sleeves. Small plastic bottle
of hydrogen peroxide.

I need to add duct tape and a fleece polo wrap.

That said, I do not carry a lot of the gear on most "recommended"
lists. For instance, I hate rain ponchos and rain pants. Instead,
for the past 20 years I carry 2 heavy duty extra large trash bags.
They make excellent emergency rain gear for me or for my horse,
and have other uses as well. I also have an ankle-length slicker
with a vent in back to accomodate wearing on horseback.

>- What is the best way to pack it?

This is really up to you. *I* carry the 1st aid kit, webbing, etc.
on my person, in a large waist pack or a small backpack. I used to
pack it all in saddle bags, but there have been times when we are
called on to get off our horses: then I want all this SAR gear on
my person.

The hoof pick lives in a saddle bag, in a pocket on the near side,
where it is closest to hand when I need it.

One of the advantages MSAR volunteers have is we can carry *more*
gear than groundpounders can. So I think we have an obligation to
do so. What does the search subject usually need most? Warm, dry
clothes! So I carry extra clothes in my pack *and* in saddle bags.
What else does the subject need? In New Mexico, water! I carry
extra water, beyond what I need for myself. My unit is not (yet)
qualified for overnight search trips, so we are not expected to
carry all that much gear, compared to some very highly qualified
MSAR units that are represented by subscribers here.

I carry food. The food I plan to eat goes in my pack; if I bring
more than that, it goes in the saddle bags. I take great care to
carry only food that I like a lot, and I do eat it. My favorites,
all non-perishable (!), are: fancy nuts, fine chocolate (winter
only), fruit leather, marzipan, jerky, smoked fish, milkshakes in
a can (Boost energy drinks are the least fake I know of), low-salt
V8 juice, fruit juices.

>- Any recomendations for saddlebags, saddles or bridles?

Use what works for you. Shop around, and look at what others are
using. However you carry it, do *not* leave it behind in camp or
on the trail.

I use a looped English rein with a clip on the offside bit ring.
Unclipped, I use the rein as a 12 foot lead rope. Yes, it is
attached to the bit, but my horse is a pro so I never pull on it.
When standing around, I clip this lead to a belt loop and pass
it over my shoulder so I can use both hands to work while still
"holding" my horse. We practice this around the barn and when
we are "sitting down" between chukkers of polo. On missions, my
horse wears a comfy halter and lead rope under the bridle, the
rope tied around her neck.

>- Best trailer?

This depends a lot on what you use to haul it.

I prefer a stock combo trailer. Mine is a small cheap 2horse slant
load bumper pull with step in tack room. I keep all my tack in it,
so I am ready to roll at a moment's notice. I drive a Suburban,
and in it I keep all my camping gear so there too I am ready to go.
The gear includes sleeping bag, extra clothes, extra non-perishable
food, camp stoves (but not the fuel; too flammable to store in the
vehicle), maps, 1st aid manuals, shovels (snow & WWII ditch digger),
at least 6 gallons of potable water. I keep the water in the truck
not in the trailer, to improve the odds that it will not be frozen
solid when I need to use it, and so that I will have it on trips
without the trailer (I *have* needed to use the water on a non-SAR
trip). In warm weather I also carry yet more water in the trailer.
The saddlebags live in the vehicle now, but may move to the trailer.
My personal pack lives in my house; I don't drive the tow vehicle
except when I need it to tow, so every callout involves at least a
stop at the house to collect pack and vehicle.

>- Footware? Cowboy boots are not well suited for mountainous terrain
>if you have to walk.

Work boots or whatever else you would wear for a SAR mission if you
were a groundpounder. I wear the same work boots I have worn for
the past 12 years whenever in the field...but I need to pay far more
attention to waterproofing them for winter searches. If you worry
about getting caught in the stirrup, (a) perhaps you need a steadier
horse for MSAR and (b) add tapaderos (hoods) to the stirrups.

Talk about walking! I was on a search yesterday, in rough canyons
on the edge of the Pajarito Plateau. We rode almost entirely off
trail, crossing ditches, banks, fallen trees, etc. Groundpounders
would have traveled much slower and vehicles would have had to take
many detours around obstacles, if not turned back. To reach some
tent rocks on top of a hill, on foot I climbed a steep sheer rock
face. My horse climbed up after me!

>- Are there any state requirements for MSAR certification?

No, not at this time.

>- Finally, are any classes offered which cover MSAR tactics, despooking
>and safety?

See the MSAR website for a list of conferences that offer training
specific to MSAR. Be creative. Stay subscribed to MSAR-riders,
and maybe also subscribe to SAR-L; and since you are in New Mexico,
also subscribe to NMSAR-forum.

>Mock searches specific to MSAR?

Jeff, I see no reason you cannot respond to NM SAR training missions
with your horses, before you are ready for real SAR missions. NM
runs several training missions each year. Plan to attend, even if
they are many hours' drive away from Tularosa.

Stay safe,

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico