msar-riders - [MSAR] Radio's

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Radio's
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

Debbie,

Try getting HAMM radio operators involved with your S&R.  Many radio operators are eager to put their skills to work.  The FCC has rules that must be followed by licensed operators which will solve many of your problems.  To locate a club near you go to www.arrl.com   We have a HAMM club associated with our Search and Rescue operations and they are extremely helpful and eagar to work with our group.

It only costs $10.00 to take the exam and you can practice study at www.qrz.com.    At this web site you can take practice exams for free to see if you can pass.  The $10.00 does not include the cost of your hand held radio which costs about $89.00

Our group is having a Communications Command Post and each team ie: 4-wheeler, horse team, walk, etc will have a licensed HAMM radio operator who is responsible for communcating back to the HAMM command post.   Each member will still have a 2 way radio to communicate for safety reasons in case of danger. However the main communications regarding search operations will come from the HAMM's.

If you do not want to use HAMM's as part of your Search and Rescue operations then I suggest that you have everyone go through the class so that you are made aware of radio protocol.

I hope this helps.

Julie
KD5WQJ

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [MSAR] Radio's, Julie Hammond, 05/21/2003