msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Liability

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Paul Fleming <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Liability
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:38:49 -0700

Christy,

In Washington state all qualified searchers as well as animals are issued a State Department Of Emergency Management Identification Cards. Our status is the same as state workers while performing our duty and qualifying us for the insurance and benefits associated with that status. It is very good protection and most assuring to know we have it.

Paul Fleming
Training Officer
PMSAR

I'm new to the list as our county is just starting a MSAR group. They will
be a part of our regular county SAR group and thus receive training in all
aspects of SAR. Our sheriff has some concerns with liabilities. In our
state the sheriff of each co. is responsible for all searches. Everyone
called in to aid in a search is covered under workmen's comp, and the county
will usually reimburse or pay for personal equipment that is lost or damaged
during a search. But, now that we are talking the possibility of loosing or
injuring an expensive horse, where does the liability lay, on the horse
owner or the county? I just wanted to get some idea as to how other groups
handle this.

Thanks, Christy in Montana

Regards
Paul