msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: ESCAPE, New Mexico SAR conference May 2-4

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: ESCAPE, New Mexico SAR conference May 2-4
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:01:13 -0700

MSAR riders,

Because the ESCAPE 2003 info is going out so late this year and
many who would attend might not get it in time otherwise, I have
extracted the raw text (below) from the brochure. The brochure
is Mike Lowe's "newsletter", 9MB PDF on the NMESC website and a
printed copy mailed to all NMESC member teams.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico

ESCAPE 2003
The Annual Search and Rescue Conference
Presented By your New Mexico Emergencies Services Council
MAY 2, 3, &4 2003
SO OTHERS MAY LIVE

NMESC
P.O. Box 3396 Albuquerque,
NM 87190

VISIT THE NMESC WEBSITE FOR CLASS SCHEDULES AND UPDATES
Visit us at: www.nmesc.org

Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico

ESCAPE EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS AND CONTACT

PHILMONT SWICHBOARD 505-376-2281 Mon-Fri 8.00am-5.00pm
Doug Palmer 505-376-2647 home or cell 447-7331
Mark Anderson 505-376-2737 home or cell 447-2372
Wayne Baker 505-376-2939 home or cell 447-7755

Doug, Mark, and Wayne carry Philmont Radios their unit numbers are
Doug, Philmont unit 5, State SAR 1306
Mark, Philmont unit 2, State SAR 1307
Wayne Cimarron Ambulance 2310, State SAR 1301

ESCAPE INCIDENT BASE will be monitoring state SAR 155.160

Call for NMESC Board Nominations

As many of you know, Escape is the time in which we elect new board
members for the upcoming year. If you have a nomination or know of
someone who would be a valuable member to the board, send it in to
the board.

Ham Radio Classes

There will be a ham radio class at Escape this year as well as the
license exam for new hams will be given at the end of the event.

PACE Certification

Anyone who is not PACE certified yet will be able to remedy this at
Escape. There will be a PACE class given to prepare you for the
exam.

Horse People at Escape

This year there will be some events especially for our "mounted"
type of groups. Trail rides, classes, and vendors all to support
the horse teams in SAR. Special accomidations for the horses
will be at the Ponil Campground. See map at right or get a
detailed map at the nmesc web site. (www.nmesc.org)

Helocopters at Escape

Helocopters will be at E-03. We have been told that possibly a
BlackHawk, LifeGuard, and maybe even SP606 will be at escape this
year. It is looking like an interesting event. If you haven't
been to one before, this year is a good time to start.

Philmont WELCOMES NMESC

Philmont is pleased to be your host for ESCAPE 2003. We value
our friends and colleagues in the Emergency Service Community.
Philmont has been a member of the NMESC for over 36 years!

We would like you to know something about us, so here is a short
history.

The Philmont country, once the home of the Anasazi, Ute and Apache
Indians, early Spanish Explorers, Mexican Settlers, travelers on
the Santa Fe Trail, Mountain men, Gold miners, railroaders, loggers,
and cowboys, remains one of the most historically rich areas of
our State.

First known as the Beaubien-Miranda Land Grant, and later the
Maxwell Land Grant it covered over a million acres of the beautiful
Sangre de Christo Mountains.

Lucien Maxwell a son in-law of Beaubien, teamed up with mountain
Man Kit Carson to establish a settlement and trading post on the
Rayado River. The venture prospered despite frequent Indian raids
and harsh wilderness conditions.

Carson eventually moved back to Taos, Maxwell sold out to a Dutch
based company, but not before he had become a wealthy man from his
many enterprises and the happy fact that he owned the gold rich
Baldy Mining District.

The Dutch company didn t make many friends in the area, their
attempts at running off the settlers culminated in the famous Colfax
County War. The Dutch folks finally broke up the grant and sold it
off as many farms and ranches.

Inter Oklahoma Oil Tycoon, Waite Phillips, brother to the founders
of Philips 66, but greatly wealthy from his own efforts, purchased
the property because of its natural beauty and it are excellent
hunting and fishing opportunities. Phillips used the Ranch and the
Beautiful Villa Philmonte as a family retreat and to entertain
famous guest such as Vice President Charles Daws and Will Rogers.

Phillips wanted to share his beloved ranch so at age 56 he offered
the first part of the property, to the Boy Scouts Of America as a
National Wilderness Camp. The B.S.A. named the first camp "Philturn
Rocky Mountain Scout Camp" after Phillips and the Boy Scout Motto
"To Do A Good Turn Daily". After being favorably impressed by how
much the Scouts enjoyed the ranch, Phillips augmented the donation
with an addition that included his best camping land, the Villa
Philmonte, and his farming and ranching operations. As an endowment
he included the Philtower office building in Tulsa Oklahoma. The
property now tolled 127,398 acres.

In 1963 Mr. Norton Clapp, the volunteer Vice President of the B.S.A.,
purchased the Baldy Mountain Mining area and gave it to the Boy
Scouts. We grew to 137,496 acres, the largest camp in the world.

FROM THE NMESC CHAIR

Greetings SAR Responders! Well, another year has almost gone by again.
ESCAPE 2003 is almost here. I hope you will use this opportunity, not
only to learn something new, but also to make new acquaintances, and
renew old ones. As you look through this brochure, I hope you will
find a variety of classes that peak your interest. We are fortunate
this year to have a few more classes concerning animals is SAR. We
are planning to have helicopter from the National Guard, New Mexico
State Police, and from Lifeguard. And be sure to watch for a special
demonstration, either on Saturday or Sunday morning. Along with the
entire Board of Directors, I hope your experience at E-03 will be a
pleasant one, as well as a positive experience. Just remember, I'm
pullin' for you. We re all in this together!

Mike Lowe
Board Chairman

FROM THE ESCAPE CHAIR

Hello everyone. Just a quick word about what you can expect from
Escape 2003 or E-03 this year. We have been working very hard to
make this event slightly different from the years past. We hope to
have a strong involvement from different types of helicopters this
year. As well as a demonstration on Saturday morning from a
skydiving team. We have enlisted some new speakers and instructors
as well as bringing some of the requested ones back for another
year. We have come up with a new form of "entertainment" for the
Saturday night event. We are currently trying to have a wider
variety of classes. Some of which this year are geared toward the
equine variety of animals. Of course still have quite a selection
of K-9 classes. Medical of course is still there as well as maps,
compass, gps, mantracking. I m sure that I have forgotten quite a
few classes, but you can find a detailed schedule as it develops at
the NMESC web site (www.nmesc.org). Also, any other late developing
news and information can be found there. If anybody has any
questions that I can answer, E-Mail me at Kurt@bluedome.com or
phone 505- 454-8763. I hope that everybody that attends this years
escape has a great time. Hope to see everyone there.

Kurt B. Parkinson - E-03 Chair

LIST OF RULES FOR DOGS AND HANDLERS AT ESCAPE

All dogs attending must be members of an organized SAR unit, either
in training or mission-ready.

Dogs must wear a SAR vest when in conference area.

Dogs must have ESCAPE identification (a conference badge) when in
conference areas.

If there are complaints about a dog or problems between dogs, the
dogs will be required to remain in the handler s room or car (weather
permitting) for the rest of the conference. We will not try to
determine which dog or dogs were at fault.

Dogs are not permitted at the General Meeting or any food event.

Arrive at the conference with your dog well groomed and clean. This
will create a better image with the facility staff and the public
and your dog will leave less hair around.

Any dog handler who causes any undue distraction during any of the
classes will be asked to leave the classroom. This will include
handlers causing a distraction while trying to control the dog. If
the actions continue, the dog and handler may be asked to leave the
conference.

If necessary, groom your dog during your stay at the conference. Do
not leave dog hair around - put groomings in a plastic bag before
throwing away. Do NOT bathe your dog in the rooms.

Use a throw (sheet, blanket, etc.) of your own to put where the dog
will sleep - your dog will be more at ease with the familiar smells
and it will keep dog hair off the dog s sleeping area.

Exercise your dog at appropriate intervals and in appropriate places.

Don't make the dog wait so long to go out that it has an accident
on the way.

Take your dog to a designated area for elimination, bag any stools
your dog leaves and dispose of them properly. Always carry a baggie
with you so you can immediately clean up if your dog leaves waste
unexpectedly. PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOUR DOG TO ELIMATE NEAR A BUSY
ENTRANCE/EXIT OF THE VARIOUS CONFERENCE BUILDINGS!

If no exercise area has been designated, take your dog to an area
that does not have much traffic, such as areas not used by tenters
or hikers and commonly used paths. If handlers do not clean up after
their dogs, we may lose the privilege of bringing our dogs to future
ESCAPEs.

ADOPT-A-COP

As a way of showing our search and rescue communities' appreciation
to the NMSP, we are urging each team to sponsor one or more New
Mexico State Police Officers to the ESCAPE conference. Teams who
adopt a cop are responsible for "picking up the tab" for the officer's
registration, meals and lodging. Contact your NMSP district office
to set this up.

ESCAPE SCHOLARSHIPS

The NMESC Board of Directors has announced that a limited number of
partial scholarships will be available for ESCAPE participants. Here
is how it works. Applicants must submit a short letter explaining
their search and rescue experience, why they wish to attend ESCAPE
and their financial need. The letter of request must be postmarked
no later than April 4th. The board will meet on April 12 to review
the requests. The applicant will be notified of the approval or
rejection soon after that date, Please include an e-mail address
and phone number in the request letter. For the applicants who are
awarded a scholarship, the applicants $25.00 registration fee will be
wavered by the NMESC Board. The applicant is responsible for his/her
housing and meals. The decision of the Board of Directors is final.

REALLY COOL SAR STUFF

BASIC SAR
DOGS
HYDRRATION
ICS
4X4
MEDICAL
MAP & COMPASS
GPS
COMMUNICATION
HORSES
ALZHIMIERS
HAM RADIO
EQUIPTMENT
HELOCOPTERS
LIFEGUARD
SUBJECT ASSESSMENT
VENDORS
FOOD
GREAT EVENING PROGRAM
ENTERTAINMENT
FELLOWSHIP
PACE EXAM
AND MUCH MORE

  • [MSAR] Re: ESCAPE, New Mexico SAR conference May 2-4, Una Smith, 04/05/2003