msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:46:01 -0500

Edgardo,  I consider you a SAR/MSAR professional,  your response was exceptional and a pleasure to read!!!

Sadly, too many people place personal image and comfort, over the professional utilization of safety equipment.  Here on the East Coast, many SAR teams are becoming an operational element of the Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security programs.  Our Team is the only Mounted Unit in the State, we are considered professionals within the entire SAR community and are not looked at as just horse folks.  Yes, we still have our dusters and wide brim hats, however, when we are on a mission or in training, those items are left at the trailer.   Folks times have changed over the past two years.

I agree that people have a choice not to follow safety guidelines and mandates, but not when their personal choice produces a negative effect on the success of a mission. Maybe this will help explain it better:

  Locally, teams that do not want to submit to vehicle and/or personal inspections entering and leaving staging areas, or do not want to submit to criminal background checks, or do not require their members to wear safety gear, or do not want to be a self-sufficient unit for a minimum of 72 hours;  Their Choice, perform as a professional  or they can choose to leave.

 Some heroes get a little dirty, get a little hot, get a little cold, or may work a 12 hours outdoors on cloudy night, just so others may live.

Be well,

Tomi`

    Ms. Tomi` Finkle  <http://profiles.yahoo.com/trotsar2>
    Training Officer, Southern Regional Director
    TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team of Maryland