msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Web sites to list your unit's existence

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Web sites to list your unit's existence
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:29:07 -0700

Jorene Downs wrote:
>http://www.sarcontacts.org/
>http://www.saroutfitter.com/teams%20region.htm

And two more:
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/
http://www.nasar.org/webdata/searchresource.shtml

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, New Mexico

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:29:31 -0700
From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [MSAR] Re: Carrying MSAR equipment

Interesting thread. I have done a lot of research too, but it
does not extend beyond what has been reported here. So thanks!

Our searches are almost entirely in rough backcountry, and we do
have occasion to get off our horses and travel for hours on foot.
We are at high altitude (7,000-12,000 feet), where heavy snow or
hail can fall at any time of year. So snowballs under the horses'
hooves are always a concern, but for most of the year (even most
winters) the ground is clear and dry so it makes no sense to shoe
against snowballs.

I have pretty much decided no vest will be adequate all of the
time. Instead, I wear a backpack and my horse wears saddle bags
and/or pommel bags (no cantle bag; it would interfere with the
backpack). There are several tricks to a comfortable backpack:
it must be not so deep that it rides on the cantle; it needs a
loop or something at the top that you can sling over the saddle
horn to the off side while you mount; it needs to be small and
light enough that you can get it on and off by yourself, while
mounted; it needs a strap across the chest to hold the shoulder
straps away from your arms so you can hold the reins for hours
without cutting off circulation to your arms; probably it needs
to hang off your shoulders not a hip belt, so it does not colide
with the cantle (but this last point remains to be tested). My
horse's movement is unusual and rather difficult to sit to, but
after many hours of exercise riding without stirrups I can sit
all her gaits even with a full backpack on, and the backpack does
not bounce.

Were I to get a vest, I would probably design and make my own.
So sources of good quality blaze orange or other loud material
are very welcome!

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico