msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: State Laws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: KYCwby29@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: State Laws
  • Date: Thu Feb 6 14:15:59 2003

The only laws we are looking in to are to officially recognize MSAR as search and rescue the same as K-9 teams, dive and cave rescue, and so on.  Also we will try and get SAR Horses covered under the Service Animal Protection Law that basically states that it is a felony to harm service animals such as police and SAR dogs, and police horses.  Our state has administrative regulations that put requirements on search and rescue teams that basically say you must have this training and this equipment to participate in SAR work.  We hope to combine our efforts with the state emergency management agency in developing these standards.  We are the first SAR team to use mounted searchers other than riding clubs who have no formal search training or life saving training.  Our plan is to start our program and by trial and error over the next year to see what works, what doesn't, and what needs improving.  Our hope is that what we do and through our own headaches and accomplishments we can help set the standards for other MSAR teams to follow in our state and hopefully increase the number by seeing what an important role they can play on a search scene.  Anyone who is interested in seeing our policies (in the draft mode) and would like to give advice or in put let me know.  I welcome any and all suggestions.
Lt. Kevin L. Riehle
President
Jefferson County Search Dog Association, Inc.
www.jcsda-ky.org