msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Radio's/ pagers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Radio's/ pagers
  • Date: Thu Feb 6 04:46:59 2003

Oh, boy - technology! <g>

From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
> How do teams that are in mountainous areas handle the radio situation?
> [...] We are having one heck of a time finding decent
> radio coverage. Any suggestions?

If traditional SAR radio frequency doesn't cover, you could try positioning
personnel - perhaps with boosted radio strength - to act as relays.

Chatter within the team, and sometimes between teams, can be the common
little 2-way radios that a lot of people already own - very useful in
backcountry riding. FRS frequency (common) covers up to 2 miles. GMRS
frequency covers up to 5 miles. Channels 1-7 are shared by FRS and GMRS.
Both are available online or at locations like Wal-Mart. Some radios have
both FRS and GMRS. By default the GMRS isn't turned on as a reminder that
legally you're supposed to apply for an FCC license to use that frequency.
Last I heard, $75.

We can't even consider cellular for our mountain SAR - coverage is pretty
much non-existent. At the CP for a Wilderness SAR we have a satellite phone
to stay in touch with the outside world. I'm still trying to come up with a
way to make a satellite high speed internet connection portable for SAR and
disaster response. ;)

> [...] I like the idea of two
> way messaging pagers and will bring that up soon. On a recent search the
> radios wouldn't work but the pagers would so CP kept in touch with me
> through my pager- but it was a one-sided conversation!

2-way messaging is a great tool if you have area coverage. It hadn't
occurred to me that it could function as backup field communication with
failed radios. Good use of technology! Also consider that if you have good
2-way messaging coverage those units could be used as the primary call-out
method.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R

  • [MSAR] Radio's/ pagers, Pennington-Boggio's, 02/05/2003
    • Re: [MSAR] Radio's/ pagers, Jorene Downs, 02/06/2003