msar-riders - [MSAR] Basic requirements for MSAR / MSAR Books

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Basic requirements for MSAR / MSAR Books
  • Date: Mon Feb 3 17:51:00 2003

From: <Deb8562@aol.com>
> I am sorry to be so ignorant but I am fact finding right now so we can get
the MSAR part of our group started.
> Is it the general opinion that MSAR riders should be at least a Sar Tech
II? In most of the groups out there are Sar Tech III's not allowed to be
riders? Are they prefered for support positions?
> Is there anyone (group) out there that uses a dog from horseback? Just
curious....

If you're starting an MSAR group you might want to acquire both manuals by
Kathy Roberts from NASAR. Her first manual goes through how to set up the
group, has some forms you might consider useful, etc.

There are no national standards for MSAR. Personal opinion is SARTECH III -
type training would be minimum requirement for any participant in SAR, even
if in a support position. SARTECH II - type training adds some hands-on
skills in the field (ex: map and compass, basic tracking) that I'd consider
fundamentals for any field personnel, regardless if groundpounder or
mounted. I'd let someone with SARTECH III training go into the MSAR program,
and participate in the field under supervision while additional training is
pending.

There are other field skills I'd add to the list but a lot depends on your
call-out area and types of response. We have everything from flat
agricultural valley to Wilderness SAR in the Sierras, so our training needs
to include how to handle more remote response SAR.

Working a Search Dog from a horse certainly can be done. We don't have
anyone locally.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA