msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: radios pagers, SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: radios pagers, SAR
  • Date: Thu Jan 16 15:21:02 2003

From: amy rucker
We just recently purchased 5 mile HAM radios, they are terriffic.
Does your IC use HAM radio to communicate with all SAR personnel, or are you using the new radios for internal team communication? Also, what is the FCC license cost for HAM radio use?
If our team had access or the money however, I would like to have the NEXTEL cell/radio combo.  Those 2 way radios reach several cities away.. They may be worth checking into if your team members are willing to purchase their own.  They could use it for personal use for their cell phone, but the 2-WAY is unbeliveable how far it reaches.  Its perfect for horseback SAR personnel.
Coverage area is a big issue - particularly for those of us who also do Wilderness SAR/MSAR - and something like NEXTEL wouldn't work here. The NEXTEL service barely covers half our SAR reponse area, which is about the size of CT. If a major cell site goes down, the NEXTEL service wouldn't even be a reliable source down in the valley. There is no cellular service worth mentioning in our mountains - we call out from the Command Post using satellite phone.

I assume you're thinking of team communication using something like NEXTEL 2-way.  Terrain and population base - which drives the service area coverage - is a huge factor for reliable service using public access cellular or repeater radio services. In our area using self-networking radio frequencies (FRS, GMRS) for 2-5 mile coverage is more suitable for team communication, and the one time investment per individual can be as little as $25. A solution in one area isn't always a solution for all. ;)

But NEXTEL does offer a very cool phone - a Motorola i88s - that integrates cellular, 2-way, GPS (lat-long text readout), group calling, internet access, etc.  For SAR/MSAR a nice full function GPS-radio (FRS, GMRS) combo unit is the Garmin Rino. Up to 5 mile radio coverage if you activate the GMRS.

~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, USAR