msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Help!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR Maintainer <msar@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: MSAR Riders <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Help!
  • Date: Sat Dec 28 14:12:01 2002

A new subscriber to MSAR-riders asked me the following:

>I am wondering if you can tell me how to find two
>things:
>
>1. A list of traits of a good search and rescue horse,
>or how to test a horse for this potential; and,
>
>2. A list of states that use mounted search and
>rescue. I am considering relocating and would like
>to focus on states falling into this category.

1.
Many MSAR units have such lists on their websites (see
below), and Kathy Roberts' books also go into this.
The basic traits are a sound body and mind, and a calm
personality. Many units prohibit stallions, but if a
stallion has excellent manners I bet most of these units
would allow an exception. My own mount is a polo pony
mare in her 20's. Although still very forward, she is
a smart and sensible horse. We did lots of preparatory
training, to teach her about moving over rough ground,
slopes, deep mud, and water. She tries each new thing
with caution, looks carefully, moves slowly, and stands
still if frightened.

2.
There are MSAR units all over the country. Those with
websites are listed on http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units,
but to find others your best bet is to call the county
sheriff's departments or state police in the places where
you'd like to live, and ask them to refer you to their
search and rescue coordinator. Then ask the coordinator
about mounted SAR. Or use the resource directory on the
NASAR website to locate any SAR units in these places,
can contact them to ask about mounted SAR. They may not
have any mounted members, but may know about units that
do, or that are entirely mounted. Most SAR units, and
especially MSAR units, do not have websites and can only
be found the old fashioned way, by referral.

Good luck,

Una

  • [MSAR] Re: Help!, MSAR Maintainer, 12/28/2002