msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: training
  • Date: Wed Dec 11 18:53:00 2002

Susan Martinez <SARCRNA@aol.com> wrote:
>Sorry if this is a repeat, however I would like to form a list of behaviors
>to train in preparation for future sar work--ie agility training, exposure
>things/objects that will be encountered. I'm still in ground work phase of
>new horse so would like to build his confidence on the ground prior to going
>into saddle. I would also like suggestions for quick down and dirty agility
>equipment (without depleting my pocketbook).

Use your environment. Climb in and out of ditches, up and down
steps and stairs; walk through puddles (you need to know in
advance that it is safe, no broken glass etc. under the water)
and across ice, deep sand, flagstones, manure piles, blue tarps,
bubble wrap, whatever. Do this enough and a smart horse will
generalize this learning and apply it to all new things: "hm,
this is new...I dunno...boss says go...hm, looks safe enough...
let's try it."

>Also are there any suggestions for first aid kits for on the trail and first
>aid books to carry.

For starters, carry a personal kit with anything you might use.
Basics, like aspirin/whatever, decongestants, band-aids, tampons
or sanitary pads (these make great compression bandages). Most
important: take a first aid course.