msar-riders - [MSAR] Disaster preparedness training for SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-List" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Disaster preparedness training for SAR
  • Date: Wed Dec 11 18:13:01 2002

For those with new or existing SAR teams, thought I'd bring up the thought
of training for "preparedness" topics that may not be traditional SAR
topics, but you can bet if there is a disaster / emergency response all
volunteer personnel will be responding. Makes sense to me that we have a
handle on what we'd be responding to instead of showing up ignorant but
willing to help.

Topics I'd recommend for at least Awareness training for preparedness
include
HazMat
Terrorism & WMD
Fundamentals of Fire
Rubble Search (very fundamental US&R - Urban SAR)

Check with your local law enforcement - potentially coordinated with Fire -
to discover what plans there may be for implementing disaster training for
volunteers.

The method I prefer - it would include the training suggested above (and
more) plus extend training through your communities - would be by
establishing a CERT program (a federal training program of Community
Emergency Response Teams) through FEMA. There should be grant funding
available for CERT programs. This is essentially USAR (Urban SAR) training
at the Basic level.
http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert.html

There is a strong movement in CA to provide at least fundamental USAR
training to Wilderness SAR personnel since there is a natural fit of skill
sets. For example, if an earthquake crumbles a large part of San Francisco,
Wilderness SAR skills like using GPS to know where you are, delayed medical
response care, survival skills, already having a SAR Ready Pack, etc., are
invaluable. The missing skill puzzle pieces needed for USAR are topics like
HazMat and Rubble Search for USAR Basic. The USAR level up from Basic is
Light, where training would include structure assessment, reinforcement and
penetration for SAR - this is the level of training where I'd like to see
the Wilderness SAR personnel. (Higher levels of USAR use heavier equipment,
have larger teams and more skill sets to offer.) Partner with the Search
Dogs who may also have training appropriate to disaster search. And you
should be participating in countywide disaster training and training
exercises.

For those with a stronger interest in disaster response training, there are
links and info published on the FEMA site (some are heavy reading!)
http://www.training.fema.gov/

For those with a stronger interest in Terrorism and WMD, etc., preparedness
training, check out NTPI (National Terrorism Preparedness Institute) on
http://terrorism.spjc.edu/ They air their 1 hour programs monthly on
satellite TV, but organizations can also acquire the videos for local
training, or individuals can view the programs in online archives.

Anyone with good disaster preparedness training links, I'd appreciate your
sharing the URL. I think this kind of cross training is a natural fit for
SAR personnel ... even if you're usually riding a horse.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R

  • [MSAR] Disaster preparedness training for SAR, Jorene Downs, 12/11/2002