msar-riders - [MSAR] equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "klstokes" <klstokes@qwest.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] equipment
  • Date: Tue Nov 26 22:01:00 2002

Una had asked me a while ago what equipment we carry. We
don't have a required equipment list. But I thought I'd
tell you what I tend to carry:
A First Aid kit - actually, I carry two. One is an
emergency kit with a rescue breather, latex gloves,
compression bandages, and such. The other is a personal
kit. The reason is that two years ago I cleaned out two
kits I had, planning to try to combine them. I discovered
packaged aspirin that expired in July 1980. What was I
saving it for? I must have needed it - but saved it for an
"emergency". So now I keep a "personal kit" that I use.
It has aspirin or some other pain reliever, any personal
medications I might have,(currently none), insect repellant,
sunscreen, lip balm, snack bars or something else to eat (if
I can take the edge off hunger I can concentrate better
onthe search), gloves, spare sunglasses, bandaides and other
such things. Most of this is to help me be more comfortable
so I can concentrate on the search.
I carry water - no explaination needed, a compass - also I
usually carry one in my pocket, notepad and pencil - vital
for taking notes at the briefing, and if the search turns
into a crime scene anything found must be documented, repair
items - twine, leather shoelaces, duct tape, matches - I
don't know what I might need them for but I have them,
pocket knife - I carry one of those multi tools, space
blanket - now called emergency blankets - they can keep
someone warm, repell rain, used as a signal - lots of
possible uses, rain gear - I carry this when the forecast
.calles for it, but I have a couple of those cheap emergency
ponchos at all times, flashlight - even in daytime they help
if you have to check culverts for bodies, survey tape - if I
have to mark something, a fence tool - it has a wire cutter,
hammer, and pliers on it, whistle, and binoculars.
I carry some other stuff too, but that should give you the
idea of the type of stuff in my saddlebags.
Kevin Stokes - Washington County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol

  • [MSAR] equipment, klstokes, 11/26/2002