monkeywire - [monkeywire] Two monkeys tie the nuptial knot in Orissa

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <josh.greenman AT gmail.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Two monkeys tie the nuptial knot in Orissa
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:19:58 -0400

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/304227.php

Two monkeys tie the nuptial knot in Orissa

By Sarda Lahangir

Bhubaneswar, Mar 26: In a bizarre ritual, locals tied the nuptial knot
of two monkeys in Balasore district of Orissa.

Thousands of villagers took part in this unusual marriage with lots
of enthusiasm and zeal.

The marriage, with the couple donned in wedding attire, was performed
as per the Hindu rituals.

Villagers performed the ceremony in the belief that if they show love
and affection towards animals they will also receive the same love and
affection from the God.

The bride Champati has been adopted by Lily and Gora Singh as their
daughter after her mother died from an electric shock. The groom Ramu
too lost all his near and dear ones and has been under the shelter of
one Brundaban from Bhadrak District.

Lily, mother of the bride said that she was performing the marriage as
a duty of a mother.

"Champabati's mother was killed from electric shock. She became an
orphan, we brought her to our and kept her as daughter. I am doing
everything for her which a mother could do for her daughter," said
Lily.

The marriage was followed by a lavish feast for guests.

Last year, a monkey marriage was held with pomp and show in Bhadrali district.
Copyright Asian News International/DailyIndia.com

  • [monkeywire] Two monkeys tie the nuptial knot in Orissa, Josh Greenman, 03/26/2009