monkeywire - [monkeywire] Irritated ape hurls stone at woman

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: "carrie mclaren" <brooklynite282 AT gmail.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Irritated ape hurls stone at woman
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:55:53 -0500

Irritated ape hurls stone at woman
17 Dec 2008, 0125 hrs IST, TNN

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kolkata_/Irritated_ape_hurls_stone_at_woman/articleshow/3847815.cms

KOLKATA: No monkeying around with apes even those at the zoo. An
irritated chimpanzee that was being teased by visitors to Alipore zoo
on Sunday
afternoon hurled a stone at a woman standing near its open enclosure.

The profusely bleeding woman had to be rushed for first-aid though her
injury was not serious. The zoo authorities claimed that the stone
must have been thrown at Babu, the chimpanzee that prompted it to hurl
it back in disgust. A crowd had gathered around Babu's enclosure
around 12.30 pm. Eyewitnesses said Babu and his companion were being
bombarded with food, orange and banana peels.

In a fit of rage, the chimp picked up a stone and hurled it at Mithu
Mondol (30), a Naihati resident, who had come to the zoo with her
six-year-old daughter. It hit her head. "We had a crowd of 23,000 on
Sunday, which made it difficult for our staff to keep an eye on
visitors. Someone must have hurled the stone at Babu," said zoo
director Subir Choudhury.

  • [monkeywire] Irritated ape hurls stone at woman, carrie mclaren, 12/18/2008