monkeywire - [monkeywire] Monkey saves kitten from crows' wrath

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Monkey saves kitten from crows' wrath
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:30:18 -0400

Monkey saves kitten from crows' wrath
Dipti Sonawala
Monday, July 23, 2007 11:50 IST
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1111299

Motherhood knows no borders. That's why a female monkey jumped to the rescue of a new-born kitten, who had been attacked by crows recently at Yari Road, Andheri. She even bit two people who tried to take the kitten away from her.

After the rescue act, the monkey scurried away with the kitten. Just like a mother, she tried to feed the kitten, which was continuously crying in pain every time the monkey's fingers dug into its fur.
report continued below

It took two days and 12 hours for a team from the Bombay Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA) and Shawn, an animal activist from PETA, to rescue the kitten from the monkey. But had it been a bit more delayed, the kitten would have died, they admitted.

Says Mohammad Afzal, a social activist and resident of Yari Road , Andheri, "We are still not equipped with proper rescue equipment. We don't have proper shelters where we can keep rescued animals. I called BMC, Fire Brigade and Thane Forest Department for help, but no one turned up except the activists. It was sheer luck that both the animals were rescued."

Says Anuradha Sawhney, PETA Chief Functionary, "Animals show such unnatural behaviour as they are living in an unnatural habitat. For example, monkeys are used to living in groups but in urban conditions they find themselves absolutely alone. Luckily, this story had a happy ending."

  • [monkeywire] Monkey saves kitten from crows' wrath, Carrie McLaren, 07/24/2007