monkeywire - [monkeywire] Autistic Woman Missing Her Monkey

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Autistic Woman Missing Her Monkey
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 01:44:24 -0400

Monkey Relied On By Autistic Owner Stolen

Video here:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/13299288/detail.html

POSTED: 8:39 pm EDT May 10, 2007

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- An unusual pet store robbery in San Mateo cost one woman more than just a pet.

Joan Newberger said thieves stole her monkey -- an animal she not only loved, but on which she relied.

Newberger is autistic and works at the pet store with her brother. She said the monkey she lost is trained to potentially save her life.

The San Mateo store is not an average pet store. It has a raccoon, a squirrel and Newberger's marmoset monkeys.

The monkeys -- Simbah, Cheetah and Electris -- sit on her shoulders and arms, but she said there should be one more -- Destiny.

Last week, four men came in and stole the $4,000 monkey.

She said since Destiny has been gone, she has not been the same. She said the monkeys are more than just pets.

"We're family. It's like they took my child. A lot of people don't understand that," Newberger said.

She said the monkeys keep her calm and help her stay well.

"If I'm having a seizure, he'll get me out of it," Newberger said.

Newberger said on Wednesday she drove to Miami to buy Electris, but still she said it's not the same.

She said her other two monkeys have been showing signs of depression.

"They're very upset that we lost Destiny, and we want her back," Newberger said.

She said she is not interested in punishment for whoever stole Destiny, she just wants her monkey returned.

  • [monkeywire] Autistic Woman Missing Her Monkey, Carrie McLaren, 05/12/2007