monkeywire - [monkeywire] INAUGURAL INTERNATIONAL PRIMATE DAY, 1 SEPTEMBER, 2005

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: "stephaniesheffield" <stephaniesheffield AT ad-international.org>
  • To: <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] INAUGURAL INTERNATIONAL PRIMATE DAY, 1 SEPTEMBER, 2005
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:36:36 +0100

Dear Friends

INAUGURAL INTERNATIONAL PRIMATE DAY, 1 SEPTEMBER, 2005

As part of ADI’s  ‘My Mate’s a Primate’ (www.mymatesaprimate.org) campaign, which covers the issues of the use of primates in experiments, as meat (bushmeat), as pets, and in entertainment, we have instituted a new international day for primates.

This first international day, on 1 September 2005, will ask people to name their ‘Prime Mate’.  It is a deliberately friendly approach, which reminds people that these are our closest relatives in the animal kingdom, and details can be seen on www.primateday.org

We are asking people to send their special friends a ‘prime mate valentine’s card’.
We will also list the worldwide groups who have endorsed the Berlin Declaration seeking an end to the use of primates in experiments.
We’ll be including support for the Declaration on Great Apes which we hope to see agreed at the GRASP conference in Kinshasa.

and to follow up with postcards to governments on the four key issues:

  • primates used in the meat trade (bushmeat)
  • primates used in entertainment
  • primates as pets
  • primates used in experiments

Please support this campaign by asking people to hit the www.primateday.org website, and send an email PRIME MATE VALENTINE CARD TO THEIR FRIENDS.