monkeywire - [monkeywire] Interpol in monkey thieves hunt

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Interpol in monkey thieves hunt
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/3756782.stm

Interpol in monkey thieves hunt

Interpol has been called in to help track down 16 rare monkeys snatched from
a Devon
sanctuary.

The marmosets, squirrel monkeys and tamarins were taken in two raids at the
Shaldon
Wildlife Trust near Teignmouth.

Police have warned that professional thieves are targeting the region and
trust director
Tracey Moore welcomed the new investigation.

"If it is the case the monkeys are heading for the continent, it is great
news Interpol
are involved," she said.

"The more people that are trying to find our monkeys the better.

"It's been devastating for us. We are a tiny charity and we only have two
members of
staff.

"Everyone who works for us is a volunteer and gives up their time for what we
do.

"We work with the animals on a day-to-day basis and they obviously trust us.

"It has hit us extremely hard and I would ask anyone who has any information
to contact
the local police."

In the latest raid, which took place on either 11 or 12 September, 11 rare
monkeys were
stolen.

Joining forces

Among the creatures taken was a four-week-old goeldis monkey which was
clinging to its
mother's back.

Others stolen included two silvery marmosets, a squirrel monkey and three
cotton-top
tamarins.

Intruders also struck on 1 August when five squirrel monkeys were taken.

The monkeys require special care and if the stolen creatures are not looked
after
properly they could die.

Investigators are joining forces with wildlife agencies in the hope the
monkeys might be
found and returned to the trust.

  • [monkeywire] Interpol in monkey thieves hunt, Josh Greenman, 10/19/2004