monkeywire - [monkeywire] Zoo takes on rare monkey pairing

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Zoo takes on rare monkey pairing
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:06 -0700 (PDT)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/3670416.stm

Zoo takes on rare monkey pairing

A Cornwall zoo is the new home for a rare type of monkey which staff hope
will take part
in a breeding programme.

Sierra, a female black and white western colobus monkey, has been moved to
Newquay Zoo
from Paignton Zoo.

The species is threatened in its natural west African rainforest habitat
because of
deforestation and hunting.

But before Sierra can get involved in the programme, the zoo is awaiting the
arrival of a
male monkey from Urfurt Zoo in Germany.

However, the animal will have to spend six months in quarantine at Paignton
Zoo before
going to Newquay.

The zoo has been part of the international breeding programme for several
years.

The loss of a female in its monkey group set in motion a series of animal
moves with
other zoos across Europe to continue the programme.

Zoo assistant director Stewart Muir said: "As with all breeding programmes,
we need to
ensure that we have an unrelated group to breed from.

"As babies are born and adults die of old age, we need to move individuals to
other zoos
and bring in unrelated monkeys to develop further the group here at Newquay
Zoo."

Such animal movements have to be planned very carefully and can take time.

Stewart Muir said the zoo was looking forward to Sierra being joined by a
potential mate
after his quarantine at Paignton Zoo.

He said: "Once this happens we will have two females and one male which will
then form
the core of what we hope will be another successful breeding group here at
the zoo."

  • [monkeywire] Zoo takes on rare monkey pairing, Josh Greenman, 09/20/2004