monkeywire - [monkeywire] Gang steal rare monkeys

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Gang steal rare monkeys
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:36:37 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/0,,2-2004422662,00.html

Gang steal rare monkeys
By SUN ONLINE REPORTER

A GANG of experienced animal thieves raided a zoo and
stole rare monkeys for the second time in two months,
it emerged today.

Crooks took ten primates from the Shaldon Wildlife
Trust, near Teignmouth, Devon, overnight on Saturday.

The haul included a four-week-old Goeldi's monkey and
its parents, silvery marmosets, cotton-top tamarins
and a spider monkey.

Staff believe the gang plan to sell the animals on the
Continent.

Six weeks ago, five other spider monkeys were taken
from the centre in another burglary.

Tracey Moore, trust director, said: "It is completely
devastating for us.
They were all rare species.

"We don't buy or sell our animals, but they are just
trading them like a
commodity.

"It is just so cruel to take a baby and a parent. We
don't know where they are or if they are being looked
after properly."