monkeywire - [monkeywire] Shoot-to-wound in baboon debacle

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Shoot-to-wound in baboon debacle
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:08:54 -0400

http://iol.co.za/index.php? click_id=13&art_id=vn20040609015210595C124098&set_id=1

Shoot-to-wound in baboon debacle

By Melanie Gosling

Two baboons, one of them pregnant, were shot in the stomach in separate incidents at Pringle Bay in the last two weeks in what conservation officials believe may be "revenge attacks" by local residents.

The second baboon was nursing an infant, which ran away when its mother was shot. Neither of the adults died immediately. Both had to be put down.

Craig Spencer, head of the Overstrand Municipality's nature conservation department, said on Tuesday both baboons had been shot through the soft skin of their stomachs.

"It appears someone shot to wound. A bullet in the stomach perforates the intestines and causes a slow and painful death. We are grateful that residents phoned us so we could alleviate the animals' agony," Spencer said.

"We regard this in a very serious light and any resident who shoots an animal out of revenge for some damage to their property will be sought out."

In both cases Pringle Bay residents, who spotted the wounded baboons, telephoned Overstrand Municipality to report "a sick baboon".

One was spotted on May 27 and the other on June 2. In both instances, municipal officials shot dead the wounded animals to put them out of their misery.

Spencer said the baboon carcasses had been frozen. Once the bullets had been retrieved, they would be sent for ballistic tests to determine the type and calibre of firearm used.

If the owner of the gun was found, the person would be charged with illegal hunting and the discharge of a firearm in a municipal area.

"We are aware of the conflict between residents and baboons."

"Many residents show a total lack of tolerance for any wild animals, not only baboons. We receive complaints every month ranging from mongooses tearing open garbage bags to dassies living in roofs. "

"We even get complaints about grysbok and duikers eating residents' roses. Top of the list are complaints about porcupines eating garden plants."

If residents took some simple precautions or modified their lifestyles, the conflict with wild animals would be reduced, Spencer said.

"This could mean removal of fruit trees and vegetable gardens and putting security bars on windows. It is a small price to pay for the privilege of living in a biosphere reserve," he said.

Although it was not the municipality's job to deal with conflict between wild animal and humans, Overstrand had "gone out of its way" to address the problem. This included establishing a wild animal management plan with Conservation Volunteers Australia, printing information pamphlets about baboons and closing the landfill site near Pringle Bay.

"Many residents are not prepared make compromises to avoid conflict with baboons and are looking for a magic wand to sort it out. There is no magic wand. Baboons are there to stay and it is up to the residents to adjust," Spencer said.

  • [monkeywire] Shoot-to-wound in baboon debacle, Josh Greenman, 06/14/2004