monkeywire - [monkeywire] British couple to hand their baby over to a gorilla

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] British couple to hand their baby over to a gorilla
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:52:18 -0500

Donna Air to hand her baby over to a gorilla
http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_837713.html

November 12, 2003

Donna Air and her zoo-owner boyfriend Damian Aspinall intend to place their baby daughter in the care of a gorilla.

The couple plan to put Freya, who was born in September, in the gorilla enclosure at Howletts Zoo near Canterbury, Kent.

They will then let her be carried off by the female of the group.

Neither parent has any qualms about letting their daughter be taken off despite five keepers being killed by animals at Howletts and its sister park, Port Lympne, since 1980.

Mr Aspinall told the Evening Standard: "It is a ritual. I'll probably give her to the dominant female who will take her off and introduce her to the others."

The multi-millionaire said his two other daughters, Clary, 11, and Tansy, 14, had also been introduced to the gorillas at the zoo in the same way.

Both he and Miss Air approve of the plan and do not believe their daughter will be in any danger.

He said: "Why would I not trust them? I know them, I grew up with them. They are my friends."

Mr Aspinall took over running Howletts when his father, who encouraged close contact between animals and their keepers, died.

Since 1980 three keepers have been killed by tigers and two crushed to death by elephants at the two zoos, but gorillas are known for their gentle treatment of babies and children.

--
Carrie McLaren
Editor, Stay Free!

  • [monkeywire] British couple to hand their baby over to a gorilla, Carrie McLaren, 11/20/2003