monkeywire - [monkeywire] Zoo allows runaway monkey a new home in luxurious suburb

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Zoo allows runaway monkey a new home in luxurious suburb
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:21:59 -0400

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s945502.htm

Zoo allows runaway monkey a new home in luxurious suburb

A runaway makaki monkey, who fled from a zoo in this northern Serbian town last week, has found shelter in an attic of a house in a luxurious suburb, residents said.

Two Japanese makaki monkeys escaped during feeding from the Palic zoo in Subotica, around 220 kilometres north of Belgrade last week.

One of them has since returned, but the other was seen hiding in the attic of a house, with zoo officials refusing to hunt it, residents said.

"I called the zoo, but they said we should catch the monkey as it was too young to be shot with a tranquiliser because it could die," Zorica Juhas said, whose house is next to the monkey's new home.

Juhas said the monkey, considered as harmless for people, "is very cute".

"The monkey eats whatever we have in our yards, plums, nuts... sometimes he wanders around but it hides from cats and dogs as they are bigger," Juhas said.

Ignacije Tonkovic, manager of the Palic zoo, refused to comment on a runaway monkey.

"They should catch it soon, winter is coming, the poor animal must be cold," Juhas said.

-- AFP

  • [monkeywire] Zoo allows runaway monkey a new home in luxurious suburb, Josh Greenman, 09/14/2003