monkeywire - [monkeywire] Lowell the orangutan manages brief escape

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Lowell the orangutan manages brief escape
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:38:36 -0500

Some "Monkey Business" at the Zoo This Morning

http://www.wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=9971&r=l
(WROC-TV)

A volunteer at the Seneca Park Zoo in Rochester this morning went through some nervous moments, when he became an accidental friend of a 300 pound orangutan.

Around ten o'clock volunteer Paul Louis was bringing food to Lowell the orangutan.

But when Louis turned around, Lowell was out of his cage and wrapped around his legs. Lowell was making motions hinting he wanted to go for a walk.

The volunteer tried walking with the orangutan, but he had to wait for help. A vet was able to tranqualize Lowell and the orangutan is undergoing evaluation.

"We do have a number of safety procedures that we have in place, (and) a number of drills that we do to practice these kinds of things in the event that there is something like that. All of those mechanisms worked like they're supposed to", said zoo director Larry Sorel.

Lowell, 18, has been at the Seneca Park Zoo for about two years.

  • [monkeywire] Lowell the orangutan manages brief escape, Carrie McLaren, 08/26/2003