monkeywire - [monkeywire] Jane Goodall Gives Chimpanzee Cry

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Jane Goodall Gives Chimpanzee Cry
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=757
Jane Goodall Gives Chimpanzee Cry
Wed Apr 23,10:06 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to
My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Primate expert and wildlife
champion Jane Goodall pant-hooted like a chimpanzee at
the State Department on Tuesday as she teamed up with
Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) to
fight deforestation.

"We tend to spend so much time talking about the
environment, talking about conservation, but we very
rarely actually get the feeling during these meetings
of the animals themselves, so here's a greeting for
you from a chimpanzee:

"Whoo whoo whoo oogh oogh oogh oogh oogh oogh oogh
oogh ooh ooh oooh oooh," Goodall bellowed in the State
Department's Dean Acheson Auditorium, drawing laughter
and applause from the diplomats and environmentalists
gathered to mark Earth Day and to discuss the issue of
deforestation.

"That may be the first time that the voice of the
chimpanzee has been heard in the State Department,"
she added.

Powell said Washington was committed to conservation
and he cited the more than $50 million which the
United States planned to spend on the Congo Basin
Forest Partnership, which aims to protect the central
African rainforest from encroachment by loggers,
farmers and hunters. The Jane Goodall Institute, a
partner in the project, is helping protect
chimpanzees, gorillas and elephants from being hunted
for bush meat.

Powell said that he had a chance to see one of the
forests first hand last year when he visited Gabon.

"I must say, however, that it was a bit of a
disappointment. It was a nice walk, it was a beautiful
forest, I was expecting to see animals, but my
security people were there, and they are very good,"
he said. "I saw not one animal, not one insect, not
one reptile, nothing. They had been cleared for a mile
around. Nevertheless, I know they are there."

http://search.yahoo.com