monkeywire - [monkeywire] Female baby gorilla turns out to be a boy

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Female baby gorilla turns out to be a boy
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:21:31 -0700 (PDT)

www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_769178.html?menu=news.quirkies

Female baby gorilla turns out to be a boy

A two-year-old gorilla, thought to be a female since
being born at a UK zoo, has turned out to be a boy.

Shanga, whose name in Swahili means astonishment, was
born at the Chessington World of Adventures in 2001.

Shanga's keeper Michael Riozzi says the discovery came
as a shock to him, because everyone treats her as a
baby girl.

He said: "Shanga is a feisty character who loves to
show off to visitors, especially children, and has
always loved a game of rough and tumble."

Chessington's consultant vet, John Lewis, says it can
take time to clarify the gender of animals like
gorillas.

He said: "You can't get close enough to really tell
one way or another, especially when they are very
young and we would never intervene unless the need was
absolutely necessary.

"From what we were able to observe we didn't detect
any signs of male genitalia in the weeks after the
birth, so we christened Shanga a girl."

Story filed: 10:01 Thursday 10th April 2003

http://tax.yahoo.com