monkeywire - [monkeywire] Monkey meat may have triggered rare cancer

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Monkey meat may have triggered rare cancer
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:57:33 -0700 (PDT)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021008/od_uk_nm/oukoe_japan_jobs_novel_1

Wanted in Japan: monkey chasers

Tue Oct 8, 5:03 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese local officials are coming up with some novel ideas to combat the unemployment plaguing the world's second largest economy -- monkey chasers, for example.

With Japan's jobless rate hovering at a near-record 5.4 percent, the central government is funnelling 140 billion yen (720 million pounds) in subsidies to municipal governments in an effort to create 140,000 jobs in the year to March 2003.

The city of Shibata, 260 km (160 miles) northwest of Tokyo, used its chunk of funds to launch a 10-million yen project to hire unemployed people to drive monkeys away from local rice paddies.

Four residents were hired to patrol the farm areas and chase away the roving troops of simians.

"About 20 groups of monkeys, about 30 each, make frequent appearances. They have broken roof tiles or sneaked into houses and taken away things like Buddhist altars, and have entered barns to snatch farm produce," a city official told Reuters.

Damage caused by monkeys each year ran into tens of thousands of yen. "The areas threatened by monkey attacks gradually expanded and the damage caused by them has increased," he said.

Ishikawa Prefecture, 250 km (160 km) west of Tokyo, plans to use its 20 million yen subsidy to keep streets free of garbage as well as pick up drift wood.

"We have to be well aware of natural environment. I believe we can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, with this project," an official at the Ishikawa prefecture government.

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com

  • [monkeywire] Monkey meat may have triggered rare cancer, Josh Greenman, 10/09/2002