monkeywire - Monkey in stroller makes Northbrook shoppers "uneasy"

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Monkey in stroller makes Northbrook shoppers "uneasy"
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:46:47 -0400

Chicago Sun-Times
May 23, 2001, WEDNESDAY, Late Sports Final Edition

HEADLINE: Northbrook doesn't monkey around

BYLINE: BY LUCIO GUERRERO

Animal control officials in Northbrook are concerned about a monkey that
visits Northbrook Court shopping center -- in a stroller.

"This monkey makes people uneasy," said Garry Manes, village animal warden.
"From a distance they think it's a small child, and it's frightening when
they peer into the hairy face of an animal."

As shoppers would shriek, police and village officials could do little to
stop the monkey from running loose in Northbrook. The suburb has plenty of
regulations dealing with cats and dogs, but had nothing on the books for
pet monkeys.

"We need to have more control than we do now," Manes said. "We have to have
the option to bring in the law if needed."

The Village Board was expected to approve an amendment to the law Tuesday
night that would ensure that Ergar -- the 30-pound, pigtail monkey that
strolls Northbrook Court -- can't go out in public without some
regulations.

Ergar's owners could not be reached for comment.

Under the ordinance, owners of dangerous or undomesticated animals (i.e.
lions, tigers, monkeys and life-threatening reptiles) must keep their pets
in an "escape-proof" cage if they bring them outside.

"We would prefer not to have them in Northbrook at all, but we're trying to

be fair to people's rights," Manes said. "People think that a monkey is a
cute pet when it's a baby, but when it's full grown, neighbors have
concerns that a 30-pound monkey is flying through the air."

  • Monkey in stroller makes Northbrook shoppers "uneasy", Carrie McLaren, 05/25/2001