monkeywire - TV Listings 5/14-5/20

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: "Lulu Bates" <number1chicken AT hotmail.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: TV Listings 5/14-5/20
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:25:38

Hello Monkey fans! It's slowly starting to sink into summer and soon enough they'll be nothing but sunshine and cloudless days, so if your eyes are weakened from hours of staring at monitors and your complexion is pasty and pale and you're concerned about skin spots and premature wrinkles and ozone exposure, what better way to pass the summer days then in front of the television with your favorite monkey matinees! Here are some viewing options:

5/15 Petstory: Mugwhy the Monkey on Animal Planet. You know how aliens appear to people who live in trailer parks far more often than they reveal themselves to us city dwellers? That's just one of the many downsides of urban living-- that and the rarity of finding a home-permed vet tech to tell you the sad story of their substitute-child pet monkey. Luckily, there's cable. I've seen this before and it is truly a touching story, if you can stand the mullet-tude.

Same day on whatever channel shows Spin City re-runs, the Mayor's office, headed up by that irascible Michael J. Fox, is thrown into a tizzy when a chimp joins the staff as a press officer and accidentally snaps Heather Locklear in two!

5/16 Who's that at the door? Oh it's Wacky Hijinks! Which means it'll be nothing but fun tonight when a German chimp makes a guest appearance on Hogan's Heroes on TVLand. And Mr. Hijinks isn't leaving yet. Oh no, he's sticking around to watch Urkel as he rescues an orangutan from evil animal testing scientists on Family Matters on the WB.

5/18 But don't think the fun stops on Wednesday! No no no, because on Friday, Nash and Cheech must protect a famous chimp from animal rights activists who want to free him! Don't those wacky activists realize that chimpanzees don't get to dress up in Tommy gear, open car shows and re-enact scenes from Rock and Roll Highschool in the wild? Check out Naxh Bridges on USA.

For other examples of what monkeys do in their free time, check out Primates on Discovery, Hey Arnold! on Nickolodeon or Animal Planet's Amazing Animals where a monkey takes on the responsibilities of raising a kitten after it's birth mother leaves it wrapped in blankets on the monkey's doorstep. Bring your hankie!

5/19 Thank g-d I have the Sci Fi Channel, because I wouldn't miss these shows for the world: Friday the 13th, Year of the Monkey. A monkey statue tests the adult children of a Japanese Industrialist. And then on Hate a college professor accuses his monkey neighbor of stalking him. I can totally relate!!

5/20 Finally, check out the crazy misadventures of a, get this, shopping orangutan(!?!) on Adventures of A.R.K. on the Discovery Channel. Know what A.R.K. stands for? Neither do I!