monkeywire - Young Monkey Stolen From Zoo

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Joe Garden <joegarden AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Young Monkey Stolen From Zoo
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010426/us/brf_monkey_stolen_1.html

Thursday April 26 10:34 AM ET
Young Monkey Stolen From Zoo

GULF SHORES, Ala. (AP) - An 8-month-old monkey named Sagan was stolen from
his zoo cage, probably by someone who had a key, police said.

Blood was found outside his cage at the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo, and local
hospitals were asked to notify police if someone comes in with a monkey
bite.

The 6-pound black capuchin monkey was taken Tuesday night, Gulf Shores
police Investigator Darrell Franklin said.

The intruders probably used a water hose to spray Sagan's parents, Chi Chi
and Al, until they hid, then captured Sagan with a net, zoo director Patti
Hall said.

``They knew just how to separate a baby from its mother,'' Hall said.

Sagan is worth $3,500 to $5,000 and could be sold as an exotic pet, Hall
said.

Chi Chi, who is pregnant, wouldn't eat Wednesday, and Al was abnormally
aggressive, Hall said.

``We've got stressed-out monkeys and stressed-out keepers,'' Hall said.
``We consider these monkeys to be our babies. This is like having a child
kidnapped.''

The zoo also was broken into Monday, when someone freed two monkeys and
two 40-pound caracal cats, Hall said. The animals were contained after the
break-in was discovered Tuesday.