monkeywire - Gorilla King steps into new habitat

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Gorilla King steps into new habitat
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:18:54 -0400

The Associated Press State & Local Wire
January 4, 2001, Thursday, BC cycle

HEADLINE: Gorilla King steps into a large natural habitat after 20 years in
a cage

BYLINE: By KATIA BORDY, Associated Press Writer

DATELINE: MIAMI

BODY:
King got a new home for Christmas.

For 20 years, the 450-pound western lowland silverback gorilla lived in a
40-by-15 foot cage at Miami's Monkey Jungle. Three days after Christmas,

King's stepped into his new home - a $100,000 re-creation of an oval-shaped
hardwood hammock that's almost the size of a football field.

"My heart sunk into my stomach when he exited that door," said Sharon
DuMond, owner of Monkey Jungle.

A crowd of about 30 of King's human friends, contractors and family members
of the Monkey Jungle staff gathered outside the fence to watch the gorilla
check out his new home.

"I think everybody's heart stopped for a moment," said Monkey Jungle
director Steve Jacques.

John Coe, who designed King's habitat, said he chose to leave the enclosure
in its natural state so King could manicure it to his own liking.

Soon after moving into the new home, King started pulling out vines, moving
logs around and digging up soil.

"It's so wonderful to see him walk out, to look around. It's a nice feeling
to see him play with the dirt and the roots and see him cut his own vines
and leaves that he wants to eat," said Tina Casquarelli, King's personal
trainer.

The designer incorporated the cage into the habitat to make sure King would
feel at home.

"He made his little nest in his favorite spot, 20 feet from the door where
he's not visible to people," said DuMond. "We wanted to make sure he felt
secure at all times."

King's owners introduced him to the habitat "baby step by baby step."
First, he was allowed to walk into the tunnel leading to the new home.

The following morning, the door was opened and King was able to step inside
the new home. The first day, he stayed close to the door and retreated to
his cage a few times.

"Remember, he has his TV, CDs, all the stuff he always had. I believe he
went back in there to check on it," said Jacques.

King's release has been a center of interest for years as Animal Rights
Foundation, The Progressive Animal Welfare Society and others campaigned
relentlessly to obtain King's release from the confinement of his cage.

Celebrities, including primatologist Jane Goodall and former Saturday Night
Live cast member Kevin Nealon, lobbied for his release. State Rep.
Christopher Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale, also urged the transfer of King to
Zoo Atlanta.

DuMond fought to keep King at Monkey Jungle. She chose Coe to design the
habitat because he was instrumental in designing Zoo Atlanta, known as the
premier facility in the world for socializing once-solitary male gorillas
in a natural habitat.

Even with the new habitat, animal rights activists are still concerned
about King's welfare.

"I really feel it ignores the issue that King is still alone. It's
definitely an improvement. That's for sure," said Brett Wyker, outreach
coordinator for Animal Rights Foundation. "He needs more space, yes, but
more importantly, he needs a companion."

DuMond argues that it's difficult to give King a companion because his
teeth were removed before her mother bought him in 1979. Aside from caving
King's mouth inward, it took away his natural means to assert dominance,
mainly toward females.

DuMond said she may try to find a docile female as a companion once she
knows King is completely comfortable in his new home.

On The Net:

http://www.monkeyjungle.com/

  • Gorilla King steps into new habitat, Carrie McLaren, 01/12/2001