monkeywire - Ann Landers: Chimp was "delightful company"

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Ann Landers: Chimp was "delightful company"
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:26:29 -0500

ANN LANDERS: Chimpanzee was delightful company
Houston Chronicle; Houston, Tex.; Sep 16, 2000;;

DEAR Ann Landers: I have a monkey story I hope you will print. In 1945, I
married into the circus (my husband was the ringmaster). In those days,
wives had to do something connected to the business, and I was too tall for
the trapeze. So, I became the first female circus press agent.

One of my first circus experiences was when my husband took me to meet his
good friends, the Grahams, and their chimpanzee, Andy Colino. We were
invited to their trailer for coffee. Mrs. Graham untied Andy, who was
dressed in a shirt and overalls. Andy ran ahead to open the door for us. As
soon as we were inside, Andy proceeded to help set the table. I must have
looked like an idiot with my mouth hanging open as I watched this
tremendous chimp, who was at least 5 feet tall and must have weighed 170
pounds.

Andy joined us at the table, and politely laid his napkin across his lap.
When Mrs. Graham signaled him that it was OK to start eating, I can
truthfully say Andy had better manners than some children I've seen. After
we finished, Andy cleared the table with the proficiency of a trained maid.
Mrs. Graham washed the dishes and Andy dried them and put them away.

I am now 82, but I will never forget that lovable Andy Colino. He was much
more like a human than a monkey.

- Shirley O'Connor, Laguna Woods, Calif.

Dear Shirley: Thanks for your delightful monkey story. Andy must have been
extremely well-trained, thanks to the Grahams. I hope they are still around
to read this. They would enjoy it.

Write to Ann Landers care of Creators Syndicate, 5777 W. Century Blvd.,
Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90045.

  • Ann Landers: Chimp was "delightful company", Carrie McLaren, 10/31/2000