microid - Re: [Microid] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-miller-microid-00.txt]

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • Cc: "microid AT lists.ibiblio.org" <microid AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-miller-microid-00.txt]
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:23:10 -0700

On Thu, 2007-09-08 at 12:31 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> FYI, the first version of the MicroID Internet-Draft has been published.

Peter, I hope there's some leeway in editing this document, because I
think it needs a lot of work.

MicroID is a nice way to associate a subject (identified by an URI) with
a resource (identified by another URI), and it's a shame that there's
the whoe social framework being layered over it.

I think it is a _grave_error_ to force a watery concept like "Service
Provider" into a Web standard.

I think that on http://example.com/foo/bar/baz it is a mistake to have a
http://example.com/ ). MicroIDs should be _as_specific_as_possible_ in
exactly what resource they associate a subject with.

I think the draft should recommend adding a MicroID for fragments of a
page. So, instead of this:

class="microid(mailto:someuser AT example.net,http://example.com/)">...</p>

...the standard should recommend this:

class="microid(mailto:someuser AT example.net,http://example.com/foo/bar/baz#quux)">...</p>

Most of all, I think that the next version of this draft should back
waaaaay off of the user + service provider + registrar + all the other
social overlays, and stick to what MicroID does best: associates a
subject with a resource.

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou - evan AT prodromou.name - http://evan.prodromou.name/