market-farming - [Market-farming] Suckering Tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Suckering Tomatoes?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 14:02:13 -0400

Elaine,
My daughter began gardening in Grand Junction this year, and she struggled thru May heat and wind toasting her transplants (even sweet potato slips).  So she put in drip, is using mulch, and has happier veggie plants.  Eggplant and squash harvest going well.

I've been referring my daughter to Colorado State gardening info.  Please find two CSU links, including tomato info:
Though a high tunnel, note how these tomatoes are suckered and thinned for higher overall yield per plant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQo5fc1Ij8I
And this presentation contains much info on gardening in Colorado.  Season-long tomato info included:
https://sam.extension.colostate.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/59/2020/03/vegetable-presentation_handout_2020.pdf

The primary reason I sucker all tomatoes (Roma included) is for better airflow, therefore less fungal disease pressure.  And easier coverage of all foliage remaining when I spray organic fungicides.  But I live in very humid Virginia.

Grace and peace,
Richard
Out to mulch muskmelons, cowpeas and peppers.

   1. Re: Market Farming (E C GRANATA)

Message: 1