market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Biker Dude Ginger letter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Biker Dude Ginger letter
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 07:51:42 -0400

Our harvest was a 100# less than what it was primarily due to late planting and a lackluster attempt at soil amendment.  We got pressed for time and planted when we should have amended. Nitrogen is key as ginger is SUCH a heavy feeder.  We managed to meet our orders for the local brewery supplying them 80 lbs this year and sold about an equal amount of direct sales to chefs and retail customer.  We discount the brewery so long as they take it all at once allowing us to clear beds and plant.

Half our high tunnel, which was all in ginger this year, is already sprouting spinach, chard, and lots of kohlrabi (with we harvest as a winter green, not as a bulb).

Ginger NEEDS to be in the ground before April 1, period.  At least in our zone.

Today it is reaching above 80F and breaking records.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855